Our Church History
In 1939 and 1940, a small group of Christian believers began having prayer meeting on the front porch of Deacon Will Jackson. This group later moved from Deacon Will Jackson’s porch to his garage which he closed in for that very purpose. Subsequently, some of these worshippers became members of the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church in Boca Raton, Florida, for the purpose of obtaining the necessary documents to properly organize a new church congregational body in accordance with the Baptist Standards and Doctrines. This group of believers had already accepted and declared the Lord God as its Holy Father, Jesus Christ as its Savior, the Holy Spirit as its guide, and the Holy Bible as its sole authority.
In a meeting held at the Church of God building on Dixie Highway in Deerfield Beach in 1940, these pioneers formally organized and established the BETHLEHEM MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH of Deerfield Beach, Florida. The church was named by Deacon Lee Roy Brenson.
During the initial years of the church, the founding members of Bethlehem purchased a lot in Deerfield Beach on which they built a little wooden building that measured 24 feet by 24 feet as one of their first meeting places for worship.
Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church of Deerfield Beach, Florida has had six pastors over the course of its history.